- Back to Home »
- Apparel & Footwear: Effective and efficient Product Development
lunes, 17 de febrero de 2014
Welcome to our blog. Today we present an important issue regarding best practices on product development in the Apparel & Footwear Industry...
But first, let’s review some problems L
1. Re-design collections twice a year…The apparel business is marked by rapid and continuous changes in fashion.
2. Lead Times. One of the most common obstacles are lead times. The ability to turn a design into a product approved with all materials, samples, tests…is the most time consuming activity in the lifecycle.
3. Unique system = Unique data …Many companies are dealing with fragmented systems that lead to inefficiencies in data availability and consistent decision making..
4. Communication between team members (internal and external!). The product development and supply chain have become much more difficult to manage while continuing to maintain costs.
5. Design styles, final price, cost sheets, attributes…and more
6. Small and Midsize Fashion Businesses cannot afford expensive systems and integration
Some Solutions? J
1. Use the correct tools
• Design Tools
- Create effective work teams
In conclusion…. There is no perfect solution.... But there are ways to achieve better results and faster without the need to add more time or people.
Product Data Management (PDM) is the use of software or other tools to track and control data related to a particular product. The data tracked usually involves the technical specifications of the product, specifications for manufacture and development, and the types of materials that will be required to produce goods. The use of product data management allows a company to track the various costs associated with the creation and launch of a product.
Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) is the process of managing the entire lifecycle of a product from its conception, through design and manufacture, to service and disposal. PLM integrates people, data, processes and business systems and provides a product information backbone for companies and their extended enterprise.
Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) business management software that allows an organization to use a system of integrated applications to manage the business. ERP software includes administration, banking, business partners, sales and marketing, etc.
How ERP and PLM fit together?
• PLM is designed to manage the initial product documentation and revisions until it is released for production.
• ERP uses the real product created with the PDM and updated in real time by the different departments or companies involved in the processes using the PLM.
• By integrating ERP and PLM, product data are updated daily and available at any moment to be shared with the services needed to ensure accurate financial planning.
With these three solution working together a small fashion company can access with a low TCO to the following pillars
1. Product Development
· PRODUCT MANAGEMENT:
· ART MANAGEMENT Disponibilidad de bocetos, materiales y colores
· STYLE SEARCHING AND MANAGEMNT
2. Purchasing and Production
· VENDOR ACCESS
· USER ACTIVITIES
· VENDOR AND CUSTOMER TRACKING
1. Workflow (performance management)
· CRITICAL PATH TRACKING
· CALENDAR MANAGEMENT
Some screen shots of product colaboration in SAP Business One and the Apparel & Footwear Solution
Jose Alberto Rodriguez
EMEA – Business Developer Director